Last Sunday the new Elders and Deacons Courts committee was installed during the Sunday service. The service was conducted by Rev Keith Lai, and it was a fitting gesture as well, because he was able to share personally about how he had been encouraged by the newly elected Elders, and how they had been faithfully serving since he had known them.
For the rest of us, it was an eye-opener as well, because there were vows that we had to make to be accountable to the church, and also vows that the church had to make to support us! So now they can't run away from hard decisions that we may have to make.... *grin*
Now would probably be a good time to also address the question that Ashley raised the last time, about the difference in roles between Elders and Deacons. I think the best answer is that as supplied by the bible, in 1 Tim 3:1-13, which by the way refers to Elders as overseers. Essentially, the difference is that Elders are sort of like the senior leaders who oversee the running of the church and in their wisdom set church policy and vision, and the deacons are the ones who actually carry out the execution of the vision of the church, by heading the ministries and spearheading the work. This will become clearer later when I share the roles and responsibilities of the individuals in the EDC below.
The EDC's duties have been divided as follows:
Chairman: Eld Danny
Admin Portfolios
Personnel: Eld Soh Keng
Chapel Building: Eld David
Treasurer: Eld Lester
Asst Treasurer: Dn Michael
Ministry Portfolios
Worship: Dn Nai De )Elder Danny
Welcome: Dn Simon )
Mission: Eld Lester )Eld Lester
Adult CG: Eld Lester )
Youth: Dn Michael ) Eld David
Family: Dn Vincent )
Children: Dn Melvin )
The names on the right denote the Elders in charge, for example, Eld Danny is overseeing Worship and Welcome, etc. (Hope I have not left out anyone!), but of course, we will all be working together as a committee to support one another as and when needs arise. There is a long story as to how I ended up as the Deacon heading the Youth Ministry, but that's for another post. Suffice to say that I have learnt that where God says to go, I will go.
I am excited (and apprehensive) about working with the Youth and the Youth leaders as this is not an area that I expected to be involved in. I have however been encouraged by many people who have affirmed me in this area, and I am also very mindful of the fact that when God calls me out of my comfort zone, He has never failed to provide me with grace, wisdom and a healthy dose of reliance on Him to see me through whatever challenges I face. So, in faith I have jumped into the Youth Ministry and I am looking forward to seeing how God can work in me and through me to touch lives, and in the process make me grow in faith as well.
Your prayers are important to us as a committee as we are in the run up to planning for next year, both at ministry level as well as at EDC level, and we covet your prayer support and encouragement. May you be blessed as richly as I have been with God's presence.
Tuesday, August 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment