Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I'm BAAAAAAACK...

The usual sheepish grin applies...its been far too long since I've updated this blog, and there are no excuses...but we've accomplished plenty in the three months I've been missing. We've taken over a youth cell group (they are called the E-lites), we've had a three week holiday in Australia where we spent some quality time with Elena's brother Kelvin (and managed to spend a week diving the Great Barrier Reef too!), as well as other good friends in Melbourne.

What's been happening in our lives the last three months...wow...where to start? First off, we caught an incredible concert by Casting Crowns right here in Singapore back in November. We also had the privilege of attending a one day youth workshop which they conducted at Evangel Family Church. I think I came away from that so awed by the passion that God puts into their lives, their ministry and their music. One thing we've always loved about Casting Crowns is the way their music and lyrics are so "in your face". That's the only way I've been able to describe it with any degree of accuracy. To meet them in person and to hear them tell their stories, about how God works in them and through their songs, is to come away humbled, and awed to know that God entrusts US with looking after His people. To find out more about them, visit this link: www.castingcrowns.com.

We also caught their concerts over two nights, which were both evangelistic; we went on different nights with different groups of youth, but both nights were really an outpouring of the Spirit upon the church in Singapore. The music was more than just words, and songs; it was an anthem of how we should live our lives to glorify God. They have two albums, but we have loved every song on each of those albums, because each one speaks to our hearts. My personal favourite is "Who Am I", which I first heard at last year's Youth Rally, and for the longest time, had no idea who sang it! I happened to chance upon their second album, Lifesong in Life Bookshop one day, and as is my usual habit, I put it in the CD player to try. After listening to the first song, I'd made up my mind to buy it, simply because the lyrics were so good. By the middle of the second song, I was almost in tears...and this is in public, at Life Bookshop at Suntec!

Since we've gone to the concert, I've passed my copies of the two albums to many of the youth who wanted to borrow it, and also given several away as Christmas presents. Every one of those who have heard the songs have in one way or another heard God speak to them through the music. What an amazing ministry Casting Crowns have, and what a privilege to be engaged in a small part of it, even if it is to give the CDs away as presents!

More next time...

No comments: