Monday, March 20, 2006

Gospel Camp, GB camp and others

Wow...how time flies. I didn't realise its been more than a month since I updated the blog.

Last weekend was Gospel Camp and GB annual camp. We were running two camps seperately this year, but thankfully we had sufficient man (and woman) power to have enough helpers for both camps. In fact, on the guys side, we had so many helpers that we had to turn people away. Thank God for His provision that we were able to have ratios of one helper to two or three boys!

The Youth Ministry leadership had taken a decision this year to make Gospel Camp a YM event, so most of the senior youth (guys and girls) were involved in one camp or the other. I was at Gospel Camp, and Elena was at GB Camp, so you can imagine we were both really busy last weekend!

For myself, I'd forgotten what it was like to run around with an energetic bunch of boys less than half my age! You've heard this before, but that's probably the best way to keep young. Running around Chinatown with them on Saturday afternoon was something of an experience. Elena repeated the feat with the girls around Toa Payoh on Sunday....

At the Gospel Camp, the message was shared by Jordan for the first time, and it impacted some of the boys; we were blessed to learn that we had 4 PRCs out of 21 boys, of whom about half were Christian already anyway, so it was certainly a good harvest. Pastor Srimal will in the days ahead follow up with these boys, as well as those who indicated they'd like to know more. For myself, Gospel camps are always special, because they are a wonderful chance to see our boys when they are young and impressionable. I always remember fondly my first Gospel camp, and seeing Wen Wei and Wencong in Sec1. This time round, I was privileged to be in the group that they were both leading. What a long way they have come, and as I watch them lead and pray with the boys, it struck me that it is indeed a privilege to be part of the YM, to see how God is building up these young men and women.

I am continually reminded that this ministry is not mine to own, but merely to look after for the next generation. I look forward eagerly to the day when these will become the new generation of leaders of our church and society, and I can only pray that I have done my part in building them up.

Must remember to also acknowledge the wonderful effort of some of the cell groups, especially Lea Lea's and Li Kian's cell groups from the family groups, and also the youth CGs. It was a wonderful surprise to find cookies for the boys and girls after one of the meals, fruit tarts after another, and fruit kebabs! Thank you all so much for showing us your love and support in such meaningful ways. I know that many of the boys were surprised, and also touched by these little gifts! God bless all of you who helped in one way or another in the camp, whether in prayer, or in any way big or small!




No comments: